Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

Secret Codes

The past couple of weeks, we've been reading and discussing Sayer's Nine Tailors for Omnibus. Since I am an evil taskmaster, I made my students write a quick "poem" containing a secret message. Needless to say, they turned out interesting. I believe they included mention of beer, mice, ice, mountains and even babies. Today I decided to do my own version. I plan to give it to my students next week and then give a prize to whoever can crack the code. Here have a crack at it:

ODE TO AUTUMN*

Give golden Autumn to me,
Just the sweet liberty to breathe
deeply or hear leaves crunching.

Give icy fingers to me
Coating in frozen death all I see.
But stinging cold to
Please the chilly morning's hand
Overtakes morning's dew.

Over a toasty fire, the warm growing inside,
Chocolate fills my belly.


*I refer to this very loosely as a "poem." I do not actually write poetry. Ever.

1 comment:

  1. For some reason when I read this poem I feel like a secret message is being planted in my subconscious... something like: "Give me liberty or give me death, but please hand over the chocolate."
    What a fun idea Linds! I bet your students will love it. :)

    ReplyDelete