Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Recovering from the weekend...

It is always strange to me when I'm glad to go work so that I can recover from a long weekend. My parents went out of town for the weekend so I got mom duty. I cooked, cleaned and even managed to squeeze in a quick jog (go me!). On Saturday night, I was crazy enough to have a musical party. I know, I know, you'd think having 6 kids for a weekend would be enough work. By Sunday night I was so exhausted that I went to bed before 10 only to be woken up around 2 am by two very grumpy sisters. Per usual, I failed to take a single picture.

Thanks for all the recipe suggestions. Here is a list of things that I ended up making this weekend:

  • Waffles - I'm super addicted waffles right now. I can't explain it, it just is what it is. I eat one huge one and I love it so much that I am forced to eat a second one even though I'm not at all hungry. And then even though I feel kind of sick afterwards, I still do it the next time I have waffles.

  • Messed-up hash browns. I can't figure out how to make good hash browns. I think I just need lots of practice.

  • Mulled cider - I put in a whole can of lemonade concentrate. Pretty tasty.

  • Pizza soup - I loverly this one.
  • Cornbread - 1/2 into making it I realized that I only had 1/3 c of cornmeal and the recipe called for 1 c. What to do? I just substituted polenta. Fortunately, it still turned out just fine.

  • Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies - I made this recipe. Pretty good except I thought I would have actually put in less of the chocolate chips and baked them a couple minutes longer than the recipe called for.

  • Ham and Cheese Bread - this was totally unplanned. We forgot that there was a supper after evening church. Fortunately, mom had just bought an entire bag of frozen bread dough and so Aaron and I whipped these up. Everybody seemed to love them.
  • Even though this isn't food, I made some of these for our Reformation Celebration.

1 comment:

  1. Re: hash-browns: throw the potatoes in a pot of cold water and turn it on to boil. About one minute after it boils, take them off and throw them in hot oil. Works like magic for me.
    Also, how did you know mustaches were so trendy?

    ReplyDelete