Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

What I'm Diggin' This Week


  • Books, books and more books

I don't know how it happened, but I'm reading a ton of books all at once for some reason and I have several more on my to-read shelf.  On Wednesday, my husband asked me what I planned on doing all day.  At first I felt guilty that I just planned on laying on the couch and reading all day, but then I remembered that it was my job.  Yes, people do pay to just lay around read books.  What a great life!
For my Omnibus class, I'm currently reading Uncle Tom's Cabin and Killer Angels.  I also just finished Tale of Two Cities which was an enjoyable read.
Now we get to the best part: fun reads!
The Backyard Homestead: Produce all the food you need on just a quarter acre!
I just picked up this book from the library yesterday. Aaron and I read it together as we ate dinner last night.  It is chock full of helpful info on raising chickens and rabbits, growing veggies and fruits, brewing beers, etc.  According to the book, I can expect to harvest 1,400 eggs, 50 lbs of wheat, 60 lbs of fruit, 2000 lb of veggies, 280 lb of pork and 75 lb of nuts.  Ha, I'll be happy with a few good veggies though I would like a fruit tree and some chickens for eggs (more on that later).  Still a good read with lots of useful information on sustainable living.
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
Unbroken is the story of a former Olympic runner who gets shot down in his bomber plane.  I think he becomes a POW but I haven't gotten that far.  The best part about this here book is that I get to impress my husband with my copious knowledge of the B-24 bomber.  Did you know that more people were killed in non-combat related accidents than in actual combat?  So sad, so many lives were "wasted."  Super interesting stuff.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like Louie in real life though.

  • The fact that my mom told me I have to eat lots of snacks so Baby Girl will gain weight. Please excuse me while I go eat yogurt topped with homemade granola, chocolate chips, and dried coconut.  It is all for the children. 
  • A baby with crazy long hair. 

  • Getting to take this hunk to his first symphony which he loved!



1 comment: