Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Skinny on Being Skinny

Ok, so we didn't eat dairy for a week and now we've gone without gluten for 1 1/2 weeks.  How do I feel?  Skinny, super skinny.  I haven't weighed this amount since before I was pregnant.  Possibly not even since my wedding.  Here is my weight loss trick: don't eat dairy, wheat products, and nurse a baby.  Did you know that when you nurse, you burn 500-1500 extra calories per day?  Yep, I think I lost 3-4 pounds in the space of one week.  Now, that I'm eating dairy, I'm trying to make up for it by eating all my Christmas chocolate.
We did discover some great new recipes.  One new recipe was this one here that I made up for breakfast.

Sweet Potato Hash (GF, DF)
1 sweet potato
1/4 c onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 1/2 T oil
salt and pepper to taste

Shred or grate the sweet potato.  Heat the oil in a skillet.  Put the sweet potato and the onion in the pan.  After cooking for about 3 minutes, add the celery.  Continue cooking for about 3-5 more minutes or until it reaches the desired tenderness.  Add salt and pepper.

Though this is so simple, it tastes quite delish.  Feel free to serve with a fried egg on top.  Or maybe some bacon.  Or how about a ton of sausage?  No, wait!  How about a waffle topped with syrup, butter, sweet potato hash and some bacon.  Now I'm talking.

Excuse me while I go eat a whole stick of butter. This girl needs some calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment