Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

One tiny bite for man is a giant bite for Baby Girl

In  case you haven't noticed, my child is thin.  I call her my skinny minny.  I didn't realize just how thin until we went to the doctor for her 4 month check-up right after Christmas.  They told me that was in the 90th percentile for height and only the 10th percentile for weight.  This wouldn't have bothered me (after all, breast-fed babies tend to be on the lower side of the weight charts) except for the fact that she had only gained about 1/2 lb in 2 months.
The doctor said to take her home and to try and increase my milk supply.  After two weeks, I thought she was getting more food and scheduled a weight check for her.  Unfortunately, she didn't appear to have even gained an ounce.  This concerned a doctor and he ordered her a series of blood and urine tests.  Have you had to get blood drawn on a 5 month-old?  I now understand what it truly means to be a mom.  I remember a friend of mine always says that having a child is like having a little piece of your heart walking around outside your body.  I never really understood that until they shoved a giant needle into, not one, but both of my baby's arms.  I just held her tight and tried to fight back the tears.  I wanted to beat up the technician or at least beg her to take all of my blood if they would only leave her alone.  
Fortunately, all the test came back A-ok.  It seems that Baby Girl just isn't getting enough milk.  In addition to attempting to increase my milk supply, I came to the sad decision that I needed to start her on real food.  I had really hoped to wait for another 3-4 weeks but my poor child looks half starved.  
After consulting my baby food book, I decided to start with one of my favorites: Sweet Potato!  At first she couldn't figure out why I was sticking something into her mouth, but by the end, she was gladly sucking my spoon.  I think she is totally ready for solids.  I only gave her 1 teaspoon mixed with some milk.  Can you imagine eating only 1 teaspoon and even being anywhere near satisfied?  Here are some pictures to document the occasion. 

Before
The proof was in the pudding
She goes back in a 1 1/2 weeks for another weight check.  Pray that she gains at least a little something.

2 comments:

  1. Gooooo Kira! Eat up, little lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't noticed! I think it's because she's not, strictly speaking, skinny -- just lacking in baby chub. Good to hear that she liked the solid food and I'll pray for the weight gain. She sure is a cutie.
    ~ Laura R.

    ReplyDelete