Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Adding to my resume...

A few days ago, one of the higher ups buzzed me over the phone:
HU: Lindsey, could you please come into my office and give me advice on something?
Me: Sure.
Meanwhile, I was frantically running through my brain anything that could possibly need my advice. Hmm, maybe he needs help picking out a tie. No, he doesn't wear a tie. Maybe he need help on the placement of a picture. No, he doesn't really hang pictures. I headed into his office rather baffled.
Once in the office, he holds up a black and white rendering of a house.
HU: Does this look like it should be called "The Hampton" or "The York."
Me: Uhhh....
How does one know what a house is to be named? I understand that big, grand estates need names. Pemberley would not be Pemberley if it had a different name. This wasn't exactly a grand mansion or even a villa. It was just a smallish brick house. I'm sure it was a nice house and I don't mean to hurt its feelings, but I'm still not convinced that it needed a name.
Me: I'm going to go with "The Hampton."
HU: That is what I was leaning towards. "The York" sounds like it needs to be a big, impressive sort of house.
So world, take note. I am now adding a new line to my resume: "Proficient at naming houses."

1 comment: