Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

My String Quilt

Did you hear a loud happy squeal this morning?  Sorry, that was probably me.  Every time I look at my new quilt I just can't help myself.  I always said that I would never be a quilter though I absolutely love the idea of them.  Then I found myself working on this toddler quilt and this baby blanket.  I felt my resolve weakening.

About a month ago, I started a string quilt and I think that I'm in love.  Each block is 10 x 10 in and the process is fairly simple.  If you don't believe me, just go look up a tutorial on pinterest.

I decided to make my quilt out of scraps.  So far I've been cleaning out my scrap drawer, using up my sister's scraps, cut up an old dress shirt, multiple sheets and a pillowcase.  I did break down and buy one large dress shirt from Goodwill for $1.50 since I decided that I needed purple.  This quilt is crazy and rainbowy.  I would love to someday make a quilt out of coordinating and hip fabrics but for now this is working and nearly free.  I will have to buy the backing and batting.  As of right now, I have 37 squares.  I think I might need 49 but I might also decide to go big and make 56 squares.  We'll see, we'll see. 
One of the coolest parts about this quilt is that each square has a white strip of fabric down the middle.  While this might not sound very exciting.  It does give me the opportunity to arrange the squares in different patterns.  Here are a few options that I have to choose from.  
Diagonal lines
Chevron
Concentric squares
3D Squares
I think that my favorite is the 3D squares.  What do think?  Fortunately, I still have a little time to decide as I finish the rest of the squares.  Before I sew them together, I will also go back and decide where each and every individual square needs to be placed int he larger pattern.  The ones in the pictures were just hastily thrown down to get an idea of how it would look.

2 comments:

  1. I like the 3D squares best too, with the large square coming in a close second.

    ReplyDelete