Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

I Say Yes To This Dress

Lately, I've been inspired to sew for the wee child.  She has recently acquired one new dress and a skirt with a onesie that has been made to match.  First, here is the story behind the dress.
About two weeks before Caleb's wedding, I realized that my child did not have even one fall/winter dress.  All of her dress were really bright prints and were all getting too small.  I was given a cute dress by a friend that her daughter had outgrown.  I liked it but it was really more of a Christmas dress as it was really long, velvet, and maroon.  It was also just a smidge large for her.  I also picked up a cute little dress at T.J. Maxx with a gift card I had but it was a little on the informal side of things.  So I did some basic research on the internet and came across this:
There are lots of "peasant" dresses for sale on etsy and tons pinned on pinterest.  Since it looked fairly simple, I plunged ahead.  I ended up using this pattern and tutorial. The sleeves didn't seem to quite match up with the neck but that problem was easy to fix.  After a couple days of work (it could have gone much quicker if I did not have a child and had not made a few simple mistakes), here is what I came up with.  All of the pictures are a bit blurry since they were taken on my phone. 
She may be uncooperative, but she is sure cute. 
 I decided that the dress needed a belt to pull it all together.
And of course she needed a matching leaf hair clip.  I think this would have looked a lot cuter if I had put it on a headband, but my child simply does not tolerate headbands.  
This sort of dress is super easy to sew as it is so forgiving especially as there are no zippers or buttons. 


No comments:

Post a Comment