Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

DIY Signage

Lately, I've been really bad about blogging.  It is not that I don't have ideas, I simply don't have a camera right now.  Correction: I do have a camera, I just don't have a charged battery.  I have one of those fancy schmancy cameras that comes with its own special battery and charger.  I enjoy not having to buy batteries but if you happen to lose the charger, you're in big trouble.  So this post will not include pictures of my adorable child, my freshly planted garden, my pictures hanging on the wall, or my new diy nursing infinity scarf.  Fortunately for you, I do have some pictures of a sign that I made that I have been waiting to share with you.  
My brother's fiancee asked me to make a couple of signs for the wedding.  I can't show them to you yet as I want to save them for the big day, but it did inspire me to make a sign for myself.  Two years ago, I made some signs for myself.  They looked cool, but they were a pain to make. 
The signs near the porta potties.  Trying to keep things classy. 
I first designed them on the computer then printed them on cardstock and used an exacto knife to create a stencil.  It took forever to cut the words out just right.  Then last year I saw a life saving technique on pinterest.  I tried to find it when I was planning out the latest round of wedding signs but I it is lost in cyber space.  Fortunately, I remembered the technique and now you too can give it a whirl.  
First, have your handy dandy husband cut you a piece of wood.  
Second, design what you want your sign to say on the computer.  I highly recommend downloading some free fonts.  They have so many adorable ones these days.  Print out said design. 
Third, lay out the words just the way you want them on the board and then tape them down.   Trace over the words while pressing down firmly with a pen.  
You can see how I have traced over the word and but I have yet to do the 'B'.  As you can see, I messed up on the 'A'.  Don't worry about it.  You still get to paint over it.  Nobody will see your little mistakes.  

When you take off the paper, you should be able to see the indentation of the words. All that is left to do is paint over the words very carefully in the color(s) of your choosing.  
These pictures are from the sign I made for the wedding but here is the sign I made for myself using the same technique. 
I plan to hang it on my door eventually but I can't find my wreath hanger thingy.  Humph.  It is probably with the camera charger.  Humph. 

No comments:

Post a Comment