Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

The King of Bartering

Though you wouldn't know it to look at him, my husband is the king of bartering.  If he wants to, he can do it anywhere at anytime.  In fact, he is even capable of bartering at Wal-Mart.
This past weekend we stopped in at Wal-Mart for a couple of items one of which was a new filter for our AC unit.  It took us awhile, but we finally found the right size and it was the last one left.  Not only was it the last one, but there was no price over it.  Oh well, we thought, the price doesn't really matter as we need it so we'll just have to bite the bullet and pay whatever they charge.  Up at the front, we headed towards the self-check out as the line was significantly shorter and we only had 2 items.  First, I scanned my garbanzo beans. Next I picked up the filter.  I looked on the front, the back and all four sides but there was no barcode.  I passed it to Aaron and he couldn't find one either.  Finally, we called over the attendant and told her of our predicament.  She looked over the filter and couldn't find the barcode.  "Do you know the price?" she asked.   I truthfully answered, "No, but the filter next to it cost $7.88."  Aaron piped up, "We'll give you $7 for it."  The attendant silently turned to the register computer and started typing in "filter."  I assumed that she was going to look up the item in the computer system.  Next she typed in "$7.00."  She handed us back the filter and silently walked away.  And that, my friends, is how you barter at Wal-Mart.

No comments:

Post a Comment