Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

An Inexpensive Bathroom Remodel


So we've been working on remodeling our bathroom since..ahem...this past January.  Lets just say that we keep getting distracted and lazy.  When we moved into our house, everything was a mess.  It was a foreclosure that had sat vacate for 2+ years.  We took replaced all the flooring in the main part of the house, painted just about every single, piece of trim, ceiling and cabinet, got a new HVAC and water heater, and took out a wall.  There were a few projects that we put on hold though.  We just got our dishwasher 1 year ago, replaced the roof by ourselves last fall, and this past summer we did our deck.  Another project that we wanted to take on was the bathroom but since it all worked and didn't look absolutely awful, we just left it alone.  Just to refresh your memory, here is a picture of when we first bought the house. 
So there were a couple of things that we changed double quick.  We cleaned out all the moldy caulk around the tub and put in new caulk, replaced the toilet since it leaked and also added a fan/light combo since the old fan didn't work.  Other than that, we lived with it "as is." for 2 1/2 years. 
I was so excited to finally be able to get it done this past year!  Here are some before and afters.  It doesn't belong in any design magazines but our goal was to get it looking as nice as we could and spend as little money as we could.  I think it ended up costing us around $300 but since the cost has been spread out over 9 months it is hard for me to know exactly without consulting Aaron and the budget. 
BEFORE
AFTER!
         
So what was up with this funky light? Did someone really pick out this light and then hang it from the ceiling and think that it actually looked nice?  The mirror was really worn looking and way outdated.  The "new" mirror is actually something I picked up at a garage sale for $5-10 before we were ever married.  I was never quite sure where to hang it but it fit perfectly in the bathroom. All I did was paint it the same color as the vanity.

We we got rid of the mirror, we also lost some storage space.  We tried to make up for that by adding this shelving.  I love my new ikat pattern that I painted.  I'm thinking of making another design and hanging them in matching frames above the towel rack but for now this works.  See that glass jar?  That did hold q-tips until they all got knocked over.  Just keeping these pictures real.  I do plan on replacing them next time I go to the store.  



So the spot above the towel rack is still empty.  I'm trying to decide what exactly I want to do. I'm thinking of hanging my ikat patterns as I previously mentioned.  I do love the color we chose.  It was a tan/beige color and is now a nice light bluish gray. It coordinates very well with the main part of our house.  


We also painted the vanity gray and replaced the flooring.  We tore out the old linoleum and put down new vinyl stick-and-peel tiles with real grout in between them.  We thought about doing real tile but we only have one bathroom and didn't want to have to move out of our house for days.  It was super cheap but still looks decent.  It almost looks like real tile.  

I wish I could better capture the transformation.  My camera just isn't that great, there is absolutely no natural light in the bathroom and it is tiny.  But we like it so I guess that is all that matters.   

No comments:

Post a Comment