Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Seeds, Seeds and More Seeds

I'm obsessed with gardening at least for now.  Probably about June when I'm 9 months pregnant, I'll deciding that weeding and watering aren't so interesting.  For right now though, I'm officially obsessed.  I've decided to try something new: Organic and GMO-free.  I do not usually buy organic at the store simply because it is so expensive and I'm not super-anti-freak-out-mom who hates GMOs.  With that said, why not spend $.50 or less extra on a seed packet and get the organic and GMO free kind?  It seems safer and better with little effort and cost especially since I'm only buying a few packets.  I do plan on using some of the varieties of seed that I still have leftover from previous years which are not organic.
I've been poring over the Baker Seed Heirloom Seeds Company's website.  The real question is not should I buy cucumbers or zucchini, but what type of cucumbers?  Should I play it safe and get the same old, normal kind that looks like what you buy from the store?  I have an idea of how they should taste and what I can use them for.  Or should I branch out and buy something new, exciting, never been tasted, never been tried variety?

Here are some cool ones that I've found so far:

How about a dragon's egg cucumber?  If I had boys, I would totally buy this!

Or why not the Hmong red cucumber which is from Asia and primarily enjoyed by the Hmong tribe?


And finally, I present to you the Thai Petch Tsai cucumber which seeds were collected by the company directly from Thailand.  

And these are only the cucumbers.  You should try checking out the melons, tomatoes, peppers, etc.  Just be careful because you might end up catching the gardening bug.  

2 comments:

  1. I'm ordering my seeds from them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered from them as well and got the Thai Petch Tsi cuke.... among other things. $70 worth of seeds and plants..... Hope my thumb stays green :)

    ReplyDelete