Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

$1 DIY Maternity Skirt

Lately, I've been having a little problem: All of my skirts are starting to get too tight around the waist and all of my maternity dresses are still way too big.  On Sunday mornings, I only have a couple of skirts to choose from.  So I started researching ones that I liked on the internet.
I found several that I really liked such as this one from Motherhood Maternity.  This one costs around $25 bucks.  I thought about ordering this one or another like it but I decided to try to make my own first.  That way if it didn't turn out, I would only be a couple of bucks out and if it did work, then I would save tons of money.  
Since I was feeling so very motivated, I hurried to my fabric store and started looking through their clearance fabrics.  On their clearance rack, they had colors of the same fabric which were all originally marked $14.99.  I picked out the purple and the red since I was having a hard time deciding between the two.  When I got to the counter, I found out the purple was only $1.49/yd while the red was somewhere around $5/yd.  I quickly decided to start with the purple and see how it turned out before purchasing the red.  
I looked at some tutorials online for some inspiration but largely just ended doing my own thing.  I knew that I wanted it to be a pencil skirt since I didn't need to look large and flowy on the bottom since I already look that way on the top.  After about a day's work, here is what I came up with: 


After wearing it on Sunday, I decided that it is definitely not perfect but it will certainly do and it is extremely nice to have a skirt that actually fits.  
Price breakdown: 
Fabric $1.19
Elastic: Free because I already had it but I think it might have cost $1-2 when I originally bought it. 
Time: I had way too much free time that week so it worked out well for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment