Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Quilts

Little known secret: I love quilts.  It was so little known that not even Aaron knew of my love for quilts.  I will never be a real quilter.  It takes too much time and too much precision.  I do, however, have the greatest admiration for quilters.  I have been wanting to get a quilt but they are just so darn expensive especially the nicer ones.
This June, I got to visit my Grandma.  I had not seen her for about 3 years and I hadn't been to her house in probably about 4-5 years.  My Grandma has a house...well she has two houses...and an apartment.  She has one house that is nearly empty and she wants to sell, one house that she currently lives in, and she just started renting an apartment at a senior living complex that she hopes to move into as the weather gets colder.
My mom and I helped my Grandma go through bunches of stuff from her attic.  Some of it was really, really old.  There was the oddest assortment of items including old, adorable vials of perfume, watches, purses, wigs, fabric, clothes, tablecloths, antique glass dishes, a barely used serger, etc.
All at once, I stumbled upon the find of a century: A pinwheel blue and white quilt.  It was a little stained on one edge but it was so beautiful.  I excitedly asked my Grandma if I could have it (she was giving away just about everything in the attic) and she responded that I could.  It was mine!  My precious. Unfortunately, upon closer inspection, I saw my aunt's name written on a piece of paper with the quilt.  I couldn't steal a quilt from my aunt even though my Grandma was more than willing to give it to me.  Fortunately for me, I did find a box with three more quilts: One finished but stained and ripped quilt, one nearly finished, and one quilt top.  My Grandma isn't sure but she thinks that the quilts were made by my great-grandma as they were in her belongings and she was  a quilter.
I didn't care much for the quilt top and it was going to be a lot of work so I left that one.  I did take the other two though.
I had to repair several missing squares and wash it.  The stains and musty smell came out!  

This one is larger but, as you can see, it needs to be bound. I'm saving it for cooler weather.  Hopefully, I be inspired to finish the binding on it when I can actually use it as I work on it. 
Here it is on our bed just for looks.   

L to R: Grandma, Mama, Baby, and Nana.  
Finding these quilts was like finding gold!  I'm so excited to use them forever.  Hopefully they will never fall apart.  

1 comment: