Pages

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

On Hospitality

I recently read this book:
I neither loved it nor hated so don't necessarily rush out to buy it.  If you really want to read it, I'll be happy to lend you my copy.  I don't plan on rereading it though I will probably continue to use some of the recipes.  

The point is that this book got me thinking about hospitality.  One of the main points of the book was that practicing hospitality is an essential part of life.  This didn't surprise me as we regularly have people over.  However, it did get me thinking about other people's hospitality or lack thereof.  I'm an extrovert and I grew up in a family that was always inviting people over so it is no surprise that I love to show hospitality.  Reading this made me realize that this not everybody is made this way.  Big surprise, I know.  

Anyways, it made me hope that everybody who is reading this blog (yes, all 3 of you) is consciously making an effort to show hospitality.  In an effort to encourage you, I want to do a miniseries on hospitality and what works for us.  I am not a pro in any way, shape or form, but I have learned a thing a two along from my mom.  So first let me start with my biggest weakness and we'll move on from there.  

I suck at making things fancy.  Seriously.  Serving bowls?  What is this thing you speak of? What is wrong with just spooning out gravy from a saucepan?  One of the biggest deterrents here is that I lack a dishwasher. Fortunately, this will soon be remedied!!!!!!!!!!!!! My mom always made holidays super and special occasions so memorable and pleasant to look at.  She is can lay a mean looking table.  

This is a picture of the dinner we had the last night Sara was home this fall.  We're just having meatloaf and jello but it looks beautiful.  How does she do this?  I was born too much a Martha and am totally lacking in the Mary department.  

Now that I've fessed up, feel free to share your biggest tips and secrets to making something memorable and fancy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment