Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

Big Impact, No Cost

As you know, I am quarantined at home.  Forever.   I'm pretty sure that I'll never get to leave.  I had to call Aaron this morning just to check and make sure it was actually Friday. Don't laugh, I'm serious.  However, my forced internment does have some positive consequences.  It does force one to become creative and take care of those get-around-to-it projects.  Here is my latest project.  Cost: $0.00.  No, really.  I already had all the paint, paintbrushes, and tape so all it took is a little time which I have plenty of right now!

Here are my two inspirations:
When I first saw this wall, I knew that I needed it in my life.  They have a great tutorial which I followed right here. 
But then I saw this rug that someone had posted on pinterest.  I loved the sophistication of the chevron pattern but I felt like the vertical lines made it somehow more sophisticated and less "in."  I worry that the plain ol' chevron will go out of style quickly but hopefully this design will last a little longer. 
Here is my before picture.  It is a boring wall that connects my living room to the kitchen/dining room.  
After making some measurements and doing some simple math, I had Aaron help me create a chalk-line grid. 
I then drew the design in pencil with the help of a ruler and started taping away.  
After a couple of coats of paint, I had to go back and do a little touch-up.  You could still see some of pencil marks and there were a couple of blots of paint.  
Ta-da!  All done.  I love it. There are a couple minor imperfections but hopefully I'm the only one who will notice them.  I would love to have a chalkboard or something in a giant red frame on this wall.  Hmmm...maybe that can be a project for the next time my child gets sick.  








2 comments: