Pages

Saturday, March 30, 2013

In Which We Pretend to Garden

We have cabin fever, things are starting to warm up (a little, little bit), daffodils have been spotted; in short, dirt has never looked so attractive.  For some reason gardens are always so exciting sounding about this time of year.  I think it has something to do with the absence of weeds...but I digress. Aaron and I have been working on our garden(s) a little bit here and there.  A month ago, I thought it was almost spring and so I planted some snow peas.  Ha, since then it has snowed, iced and frozen over multiple times.  I think I need to go out and replant them cause absolutely nothing has come up.  I also planted some seeds indoors.  At first they did great, but then they got too tall and spindly...and I might have forgotten to water them.  Needless to say, they all died a tragic death except possible 2 of them.  Here is just a sneak peek into our dirt scratchings.

This is the method we chose for planting our indoor seeds.  It is pretty nifty and very eco friendly.
I also made us a compost bucket.  This lonely 5 gallon bucket blew into our yard during a giant windstorm.  It was empty and nobody ever came to claim it.  After looking at in our yard for a month, I decided to recycle it.  It now rests outside our back door for easy garbage disposal. 
It was very simple to make.  Just drill some holes in the top, sides and bottom, toss in some veggie/fruit/coffee grounds scraps, add some torn up phone book and maybe even a little dirt.  

Finally, we have our masterpiece that has yet to produce anything.  This year we decided to go with a lasagna garden.  The concept of a lasagna garden is simple that you layer organic material.  We didn't have to till up the ground or anything.  We started with a layer of soaking wet newspaper, then bountiful heaps of cow manure, some leaves, kitchen compost and finally we topped it off with a little bit of dirt.  We will let it sit until May and then stick our plants right into the beautiful organically composted materially. I hope it will work!
We chose this strange shape because we thought it might work easier for picking produce and weeding.  We'll see though.  



No comments:

Post a Comment