Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Going Green (Literally)

Lately, I've been trying to clean up my diet.  I usually eat pretty healthy anyways but I'm tired of not being able to find comfortable underwear for my pregnant body.  That was probably TMI, but sometimes you take the little things for granted.  Last night I tried something new for dinner and it worked surprising well so I thought I'd share.

As you probably know if you've been reading my blog, my husband luvs muffins.  Some days when I crave something sweet, I'll ask him if he would like some cake or cookies and he responds that he would prefer muffins.  Muffins are his love language.  Since we have them relatively often, I usually try to make a "healthier" versions.  I love the rich, sugary, bakery style muffins as much as the next person but I figure that I might as well be eating a donut.  Last night I got the crazy idea to throw some pureed spinach into the banana muffins and they turned out surprisingly well.  The kids chowed down on them and Aaron and I couldn't really taste the spinach.  Since they do have a fair amount of sugar and I'm trying to be healthy, I only had one.  Here is the recipe that I adapted from this blog.  



Banana-Spinach Muffins (If you're feeding them to a bunch of boys, just come up with a clever name like Alien Muffins or something)

Ingredients:

  • 8 oz of frozen, chopped spinach, at least somewhat thawed
  • 3 medium-large bananas
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 1 egg 
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1//3 c butter, melted or very soft
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t salt
  • Optional mix-ins such as nuts, chocolate chips, craisins 
Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and either spray muffin tins or use liners
2. Put the spinach into a food processor or good quality blender and puree. 
3. Add banana and repeat. 
4. Add all of the wet ingredients and pulse until combined. 
5. Add the dry ingredients but try to mix until just combined. 
6. Fill muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
7. Watch your kids chow down and laugh because you know that they are stuffing their faces with spinach. 


In other news, I'm not a huge fan of graphic tees but I seriously want this t-shirt.  I do feel a little vain getting it for myself though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment