Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Help! I Need a Mom Style

As I pulled out my spring clothes and put away the heavy winter sweaters, I came to the realization that I need new clothes! Last summer I was pregnant and/or had a good deal of post baby chub so I got a few things but I still need some more.  Part of my problem is my ever-changing body.  In college I could just go shopping at the end of a season and buy next summer's clothes on clearance and know that they would fit.  Now I never know if/when I'll be pregnant or breastfeeding. My body is either swelling with a baby or slowly shrinking post-baby and there is also that phase where I have trouble maintaining my weight and I can wear tiny pant sizes.
I need to go shopping but I want to be a smart shopper.  I want to focus on buying things that I really, really love instead of buying things that are just ok because either a) they are on sale or b) I'm really desperate. 
This is the part where you all come in.  I'm sure that you all dress much nicer than I do.  Lets face it, I'm not hard to beat.  So I need your advice.  I'll tell you what I like/don't like and you can give me all of your tips, favorite blogs, and even pick out an outfit for me.  In fact, if you have a blog, I invite you to write a whole post in which you "dress me up" and style a new wardrobe for me.  Just be sure and leave a comment with a link to your blog.  

In order to get you started, here are few things that I want/don't want.  
1. I want classy but not necessarily in style now. Since lately I've only been able to wear my summer clothes every other year, I want to get clothes that will last for multiple seasons instead of looking dated in 2 years time.
I would never wear this.  Source.
2.  I've been trying to look more feminine and wear more skirts and dresses.  I find that I feel so much more pretty and girly if I wear a skirt.  I especially love maxis because of the stretch waists and I think that they are generally more comfortable than a pair of jeans. 
Source
3.  So I have to feed my baby every 2-3 hours.  This complicates matters.  As much as I love a pretty dress, most are off limits.  I also really like the look of a shirt tucked in to a pair of cute pants/shorts with a belt but this look is seldom worth the effort it takes to retuck the shirt in every couple of hours especially if I'm out in public.  Access is key! 
4.  I do not wear yellows, oranges, peach, pastels or gold ever. They look terrible on me.  I love purples, grays, blues, and pinks.  Unfortunately for me, pastels have been in style for a couple of years.  
5.  I want to look my age.  I have two kids and I'm closer to 30 than 20.  I'm supposed to look mature, wise, and put together.  Hahaha, sometimes put together means that the a certain pair of pants and a t-shirt are clean.  That counts as put together, right? 
6. Comfortable is also a definite bonus.  I do not like to buy shoes that hurt my feet.  I'll take a good pair of flats over heels any day.  And stretchy knits?  Oh, ya!

So I tried to find a good "outfit" picture of me and I guess that they don't exist.  Here is the closest ones I could find. 
Easter outfit: Blue dress with white stretchy blazer, gladiators, pearls and beach waves. 

Another outfit that I got into just this past winter: Comfy sweater, scarf, skinnies, and ankle boots which I swore I would never get.  

In an effort to be "real" and honest, I just went in the bathroom and took this picture.  This is what I'm wearing right now to go to the store.  I do have a turquoise necklace that I really like wear with this shirt but Will and Kira love to pull on it so it is easier just to leave it off. 

While you mull over my fashion dilemma, I'm going shopping for pajama pants since two pairs of mine slowly disintegrated from too much use in just the past couple of months.  I can't wait to see/read all of the advice that you have for me! 



4 comments:

  1. You should ask Ashley to do you a Polyvore board. This is exactly the type of thing she loves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, if you're looking for a pair of sandals for this summer, you should at least think about these (http://www.modcloth.com/shop/shoes-sandals/salt-water-sandal-in-tan). They come in lots of colors (red or navy would be really versatile) and I've seen them all over fashion blogs. They've been around for 60+ years so they're timeless and classy, but still stylish, and according to the reviews (which are all 5-star) they last really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciated this post because I was just looking at my closet the other day and realized I can only wear about 2 of my warm weather dresses now because of nursing. I felt a bit glum. ;)

    You might already have this dress, but if not, I REALLY recommend this one from Land's End: http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-fit-and-flare-dress/id_280128. They come out with a new color/print of this dress every so often and then the old one goes on clearance, so if you watch the sales you can snap one up for much cheaper! I got this flowered version on sale at Christmas for about $16: http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-sleeveless-pattern-cotton-modal-fit-and-flare-dress/id_270932 (It's currently on clearance but the only color left is coral). It's soft, comfortable, just below knee length and really easy to nurse in. I wear it over a nursing camisole from Target (http://www.target.com/p/women-s-nursing-cotton-cami-gilligan-o-malley/-/A-12250744#prodSlot=medium_1_4&term=nursing+camisole). It's really forgiving through a lot of pre/post baby body changes because of the material and cut, and it can go causal or dressy depending on what you wear with it. I wear it with sandals in summer, and throw on a cardigan, tights, and boots in winter. For me it's been worth every penny, and I think it would look so cute on you, especially in a deep blue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I really like Garnet Hill's dresses as well - they're definitely pricey but if you watch the sales you can get a good deal once or twice a year. They have a lot of crossover bodice styles that work great for nursing with a camisole underneath. I don't know if you like maxi dresses, but I bought an older pattern of this dress (http://www.garnethill.com/modern-surplice-maxi-dress/348938?&defattribvalue=main) last year for under $35 on sale and wore it during my third trimester, post-baby chub, and now original weight and nursing (it's very versatile!).

    This dress is pretty and classic and I could see you wearing it: http://www.garnethill.com/juliet-knit-dress/sale-clearance/womens-fashion/363220?&defattribvalue=main. A reviewer said it worked great for nursing. Plus it comes in blue and purple! :) Like I said, the dresses are expensive but if you're willing to wait and sign up for emails or check the website, they have great sales about twice a year. The styles are generally classic and most of the dresses are lined or made of a good quality fabric. :)

    That's all I've got but I can't wait to see if you get any other suggestions - now that I can't wear about 75% of my clothing, I definitely need some help updating my wardrobe too! :)

    ReplyDelete