Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Healthy Smealthy

Why, oh why do healthy muffins have to taste so...so...dang healthy?  I made some today with very little sugar, whole wheat, NO butter, NO milk, and NO oil.  I even replaced one of the eggs with water and flax seed.  Oh, and I used some yogurt to moisten the batter when it seemed too dry.  And how did it taste?  It tasted like too healthy muffins.
On a happier note, I did make two healthy, vegetarian, gf, df recipes recently.  The first one was Make-Ahead Vegetarian Moroccan Stew.  The the second was Spicy Eggplant.
In case that wasn't healthy enough, I also tried Kombucha for the first time.  What is Kombucha?  Kombucha is basically fermented iced tea full of live cultures.  Sounds gross, right?  In college, tons of people I knew drank it.  One teacher described as a bath for your insides.  My friend Kelsey and I swore off drinking it.  My brother's roommate used to brew his own and it smelled strange and looked like a liver growing in a bowl of brown fluid.  Check out the "mother" or the "scoby" used as the starter.
Photo Cred
Anyways, a recent skype conversation with Kelsey revealed that she had caved.  Not only is her own mother making her own kombucha, but Kelsey had actually enjoyed drinking it.  Traitor.  Since it is supposed to have many health benefits including boosting the immune system.  I decided that for Aaron's sake we should give it a whirl.  I went to the natural health store and bought a $4+ bottle of lemon raspberry ginger kombucha (the bottle was only 12oz).  The surprising thing is that it actually tasted kinda good.  Aaron didn't care much for it but he said that he didn't like the ginger flavor.  I thought it tasted great.  It was carbonated and tasted like good soda.  I'm definitely thinking about getting me a scoby.
Now excuse me while I go finish off that bag of popcorn...

No comments:

Post a Comment