Pages

Monday, August 10, 2015

So Monday...and a Quick Tip

Ok so it is Monday.  We just got back from being at the river with Aaron's family for the past two days.  The trip was a lot of fun but a long weekend + 2 toddlers + being tired out myself + a giant mess covering every surface in our house + having no milk and only 3 eggs left = grumpy Monday.  Fortunately, both kids are taking a nap right now which means that I have a few seconds to pull myself together and prepare for the afternoon. My one bright spot this morning was getting to harvest all the veggies that ripened while we were gone.
This is my happy place.  Of course the grass was all wet and muddy from the rain so my kids were kind a nasty by the time we back inside but I'm still happy.  

See all of the above tomatoes?  That is the ones I've harvested in the past 2 days.  The tomatoes have been unrelenting these past 2 weeks or so and I've loving it.  Of course there are too many too eat right now so I've been trying different methods of preservation.  Which brings me to the second part of my post: My quick tip.  
Whenever life gives you too much of something, just freeze it!  It helps if you have a large chest freezer but you can also squeeze quite a bit into a small refrigerator freezer. For instance, do you have too many tomatoes?  Try cutting them (if they are larger), drizzle them with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic salt and then roast them in the oven at 400 degrees for 1-2 hours.  Pop the into a freezer bag and then pull them out in the winter to add to pizza or pasta.  

Another easy one is bread crumbs.  Whenever you have some bread or even a hamburger bun that is about to go bad, just spread some butter on it and pop it into the oven until it is toasted.  You could also add seasoning at this point such as Italian.  When it is toasted and cooled off, put it into the a food processor until crumbled and throw them into the freezer.  Next time you need bread crumbs, they are ready to go and will never mold as long as they are in the freezer.  Seriously, it is so easy and I love not feeling liking I'm throwing away good food.  

1 comment: